Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Thunder Rolled and Rolled

Glug glug....we got rain finally.  It is like this all the time.  We have drought and we have all prayed for rain, and some get out their rain sticks, etc. and finally God hears our prayers all at once and sends a gully washer to us.  Our backyard was a small lake this morning.  It rained from about 5pm last night until about 10am this morning.  We are still in a drought and have a flash flood warning today.  The usual places have flooded and there are cars in the flood waters.  When my husband was still working there was/is an area that floods behind the building.  It is very hazardous and one year a woman was washed from her car and has never been found.  So, the slogan of "Turn Around-Don't Drown" is true. 

Have you ever noticed how the rain comes in a deluge when it finally comes?  I don't know if it is just a normal re-establishment of the norm, but it is odd to me.  It is wonderful, but sort of odd.

Got my eyes checked yesterday and have found a competent ophthalmologist finally, I think.  I take plaquenil for rheumatoid arthritis and it can cause some very serious side effects in eyes.  He gave me a couple of things to "tape on your refrigerator" and I was instructed to check my eyes each morning.  He calmed my anxiety about the drug and he has studied the patients who take it for over 30 years.  That was a relief.  I'll go back to pick out new frames next week.  My eyes were dilated and it was not the right time for eyeglass shopping.  I couldn't see anything and the rain was starting.

Last night's rain had constant rolling thunder in it for a very long time.  My husband and I don't remember ever hearing it thunder just like it did last night.  He and I just looked at each other when we were leaving the doc's office.  I hate having to get new glasses, but it is a part of living.  I love seeing and people watching and reading very much.

8 comments:

  1. I LOVED this post because I could relate to everything in it.. :) The arthritis, eyes, all of it. Even finally getting, what seems, a competent doctor.
    Even the rain..alas no thunder! Now we are back to 75 degree's!
    Wind! Yes, lots of wind!
    Thank you for stopping by! I wasn't quite sure what you meant by the "place settings"...was that about the silver plate flatware? :)
    Nice to see again, isn't it?? :)
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...the place settings...I'm getting enough plates, glasses, and flatware for 12 so we don't have to wash dishes all evening after a big dinner. It can all go into the dishwasher. I'm getting a pretty pattern that is useful. My china and crystal and silver all have to be handwashed. It is ok for sometimes, but we would like a break.

    I still hope you find the knives you have been looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I suggest an email address? Sometimes when writing a comment on a post one thinks of other things to write other then just about the content..or like me, tends to get wordy and take up space. It's just nice when someone wants to write a private question..what do you think?
    I don't think giving an email address is a risk, at least it hasn't been for me and it's now several years of blogging.
    Right now I am in a terrible rut and have little to blog about..or else my energy is just put into other things of late. The computer, even after all this time, is still a mystery to me. :)
    I'm still learning about my cell phone.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. Now I understand about your silverware and china!! Sorry for all the comments but I keep remembering things I wanted to tell you. See? Wordy here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We (Minnesota) don't get rain like that, and I think I would be frightened!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pearl,
    I have a friend from Minnesota who is a police officer. He got scared once when we were having very severe storms and the wind picked up the back of his squad car and sort of moved him around a bit. He said there was a high pucker factor there. :D I guess he just hasn't settled in to Texas yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez, I am slow getting around but During this time we only got a few showers. I think central Arkansas got a lot of rain.

    We are supposed to get some this weekend, but all week has been unseasonably warm but cloudy anad dreary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We missed out on it today. Oklahoma and west Texas got good showers/storms/tornadoes...you know the normal spring time.

    ReplyDelete