Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11 eight years ago

It has been 8 years now since the tragic September 11th attack on our country. Those were some of the darkest days I've ever lived through. Life was changed forever and we may never feel the sense of safety we had before.

Today we are being asked to get involved with volunteerism to help our country. I've been volunteering for nearly 10 years with our local pd in a very small way. At one time during those dark days after 9/11 we drove our neighborhoods making a list of potential sites that might be a target of terrorism. That's bringing it home for sure.

Also, during that time there were the anthrax attacks which scared the heck out of me. Those turned out to be another home grown terrorist and not one from out of the country, but the fear had been set loose. Thank goodness for friends with good sense who weren't as crazy as I was. It rubbed off on me finally. A trip to Sam's for about $100 worth of "survival food" (rice and spam, etc.) helped as much as anything. That was when I took charge of my life again and started to feel in control.

I was reading some of the blogs just now and "Crazy Aunt Purl" has written about 9/11 with such good sense and honor that I want to share the link with you.

http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2009/09/september_eleve.php

She has some fab stories to tell about becoming herself and knitting, too. I think she is one of the best bloggers on the internet.

3 comments:

  1. I think we were ALL quite freaked for a while... I have to admit I think I got over it quite a bit sooner than a lot of people... I think I just put sO much faith in God to take care of me that I really don't worry about it! A bunch of people still think I'm nuts too! ;) I DO think we need to remember ... and to honor those who died. But I don't think we should live our lives in fear. When we do that... "they" win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree...and there are enough home grown nuts and terrorists to keep us occupied. And for me having a few supplies on hand works for tornadoes or whatever might come our way. I was a girl scout and you know that be prepared thing sort of sticks with you. I no longer live my life in fear...well, except for the regular ones and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have put myself in God's hands. It's the only way I have been able to travel overseas without fear. I know that God is with me, and I am his.

    ReplyDelete