Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Friends and miracles


Sometimes friends come and go and some stay with us for a very long time indeed. I promise if we stay around each other the graphic above will be very true.

I think, hopefully, that my husband has gotten a lady to come in an stay with my in laws for 4 hours/day. There is the lady from home health who helps her get a bath and change her clothes, and meals on wheels comes by and brings them breakfast and lunch. The companion will cook them the breakfast they have eaten for 90 years of bacon or sausage and eggs with toast and coffee. I'm pretty sure there is a WHOLE lot about their genes that are wonderful. Not so much in my family. Good news for my husband, though.

When my husband was taking his father to a doctor's appointment the other day he noticed his father's shoe had lost part of the sole. He immediately went by and bought him some new ones. They just don't remember this isn't the OLD depression...this in the NEW one and it isn't so bad he has to wear holey shoes. There is a big search going on to find their clothes. When we would buy them clothes, shoes, sleepwear...they would say that the gift was too nice they were going to put it up and save it. There is a stash in there somewhere.

I just feel so relieved right now that this woman is coming and that maybe she isn't an axe murderer or a thief. None of you guys that I've met in real life have been...although PJ and I nearly had a runaway when we met the first time. We were both so freaked out we were actually going to meet someone we only knew online!! When I walked up to her I showed her my work id badge which did not help at all. I used my real name at work and another on the internet. We finally got over it all and had a nice lunch. My husband and I try to see them whenever we go to Galveston Bay to visit our daughter.

Someday I'll tell you the story of the miracle of getting my mule headed mil to let someone come in to help them. Tomorrow I have a lunch meeting and Friday the cleaning ladies come, so I won't be around for a while all that much. Also, the AARP group we joined last winter wants me to serve on the board. There are a lot of people I know there from when I was working. Hopefully it will just be keeping up with the new people and not the VP, as the president mentioned in her last email that caused my jaw to drop. It is good to know folks....actually it is good to know folks who are older than I am for a change.

5 comments:

  1. So glad some relief is in sight. Sounds like you will be busier.

    I'm still chuckling over the ID badge thing.

    I need an address to send you something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhh you know... when my FIL passed away, we went over to help get rid of his things and straighten stuff up a bit -- and THAT was when we discovered that they had NEVER... in alllllllll the years we've been together - never USED ANYthing that we had given them for any occasion! Every BIT of it was gently wrapped up and put away SOMEwhere for later, while they continued to USE the same old stuff we had hoped to replace! When BIL died and we moved Mom here, I didn't give any more options! I didn't pack ONE STITCH of clothing for her! We stopped at Walmart on our way from her house to mine and I bought her brand new EVERYTHING. She was wearing underwear that was SIX sizes too big for her - because they had been "obtained" when Aunt Hazel died! OY VEY!!! I couldn't believe it! And get this... Aunt Hazel had lived ALONE for 30 years... but her underwear was labeled with her name inside! Crazy? yes!

    I am soooooo glad you all have gotten some HELP for the laws though! It's probably not what's needed - but it's for sure better than nothin'!!!

    You must have met PJ BEFORE I met her... I know I wasn't her first! YOU must have been her first! LOL! That story is too funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good News! Two of my babies Claus (green) and Caspar (blue) have found forever homes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John and I were having drinks on the Island the other day and he asked if you guys had been down this summer. Glad to hear things are looking easier, you have been in my thoughts for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PJ we both wish we could come to the island to visit you and John and our daughter down there, too. And the other one who is in between us and ya'll, but it ain't happening soon.

    Things just keep happening.

    ReplyDelete