Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Notes from The Over Forty Crowd

THE OVER 40 CROWD!

THE SPOILED UNDER-40 CROWD!!! If you are 40 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning....Uphill...barefoot...BOTH ways YADDA YADDA YADDA

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it! But now that..... I'm over the ripe old age of forty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a Utopia! And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it! I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!! There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take, like, a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our rear! Nowhere was safe! There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?

We didn't have fancy stuff like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it! And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister! We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your rear and walk over to the TV to change the channel! NO REMOTES!!!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-pills!And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove!

Imagine that! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,The Over 40 Crowd

8 comments:

  1. I told one of my grands that when I was a kid the phone was hooked to the wall with a cord and that I was so happy one day when my Dad got us a really long cord because then I could take the phone into my room to talk. She looked at me like I was nuts..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *SOB*... *snif*... I remember EVERY DAMN BIT of that! We HAVE seen a lot of change in our lifetimes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have indeed seen a bunch of changes, but that walking to school barefoot in the snow uphill both ways still hangs in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember all this stuff, too. I used to hate that little box that set on top of the t.v. and went click, click, click with the rotor turning the change the channels and the picture was so snowy because you had antenna outside. Our generation has probably seen more changes than any other. When we lived on the farm, we were on a 10 party line. I don't know how kids today would cope with some of this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AAAAAAAAND, we didn't have our own personal cell phone on our hip. if we wanted to talk to our friend, we had to ask our parents if we could use their phone, the one that hung on the kitchen wall with the really long cord. no we did not have our own phone in our own bedroom either. and we didn't have multiple tv's in our house, no siree. we had one tv, black and white, in the living room, and DAD not us kids, got to decide what channel the tv was going to be on -- usually the news channel, with chet huntley, and david brinkley. I know, you never heard of them. and we certainly did not have individual tvs in our own bedrooms. computers? in our own rooms? HA. we would have been considered crazy if we ever even thought that that would some day happen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy! A twenty person party line!?! Holy Cow! We had a party line when I was young, but it was only a few people. Dang if you were pretty far down the line it would take a lot of patience to get to your personal ring!

    Gardenia-Along with that black and white tv and if you didn't have the remote the clack clack changer, there was always a kid who had to go over and change the channels. I don't think we ever had a wall phone. I used to be envious of my friends who had one.

    We indeed have seen a lot of changes in our lifetimes. Who would have thought of cell phones, rockets, tv dinners, organ transplants. I remember watching the first man to have a heart transplant on the news. I was so hoping he would live, but he didn't make it. I was a little later that a heart transplant worked. There have been so many changes since I was a young girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep the under 40 crowd should read some of our "memory blogs." But I guess I didn't feel deprived because my parents reminded me of their "under 40" times, too!!! Life is a litany of treadmills.

    ReplyDelete