Monday, October 10, 2011

Science Class for Today


You may recall from a Mechanics course that the period of a pendulum is proportional to the square root of the length of the line suspending the weight - i.e., the longer the pendulum, the slower it swings.

Harvard students built a device with a series of 15 pendulums in a row, each one slightly longer than its neighbor, then set them in motion and filmed the result.

The resulting patterns in this short video are quite fascinating to watch.

The above words were from an email sent me from a good friend. I don't know if he wrote them or not, but he could have.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amber, thanks for your visit and comment. I can stand critique but as I mentioned in my poem I had spent the day with my daughter and on my return home suddenly felt lonely. I also walk daily along the nearby beach so get plenty of excercise and fresh air.
    So your advice I have been doing for the past four years here in the UK and 3 yrs previously in Spain.
    To suddenly feel lonely is not a nice feeling and wouldn't reccomend it to anyone.You are one of the lucky ones who have not lost her other half and though 13 yrs has lasped since his passing I still get pangs of utter loneliness.

    Take care and have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yvonne,
    I know you get sad and lonely. I didn't know you already went for walks and didn't mean to make you feel worse about it all. I think it is normal to feel lonely ever now and then. From time to time I feel like that even though my husband is here.

    ReplyDelete