Sunday, April 26, 2009

Texas My Texas





These are pictures we made last weekend when we went down to Ennis, about an hour south of us to view the bluebonnets, the state flower of Texas. We had a great time wandering from one field of blue to another and also, some that were yellow. There were some great shots of old farm houses that are now abandoned and old barns, and fabulous new homes, and there was one place that had deer in large pens on their place. I didn't put any pictures of the new homes in the slideshow just in case the owners didn't want everyone in the world to know where they live.

If you have any interest in Texas wildflowers click here for a wonderful site that helps identify the species.



Our state song is sung by schoolchildren just like when I was in elementary school...and I think through high school. It makes my heart happy to hear it sung still by our children.

The state song is "Texas, Our Texas" by William J. Marsh and Gladys Yoakum Wright.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful countryside! I love the fields of wildflowers. What a sight to behold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm! They are beauuutiful! I wanted to plant wildflowers in our back field this year -- but Dennis sort of poo-poo'd the idea... then he can't mow the grass! LOL! Wouldn't ya think he would WANT the wild flowers???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quilly, thank you. When the wildflowers are blooming it is really something. Lady Bird Johnson pioneered the idea of not mowing until after the flowers had gone to seed.

    Melli-I'd think anything that caused you not to have to mow would be good news, but to each his own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a former Texan I miss the bluebonnets the most.

    Interestingly I have connections to ENNIS. I am adopted and know my biological family. My half sister lives in Trumbull near Ferris, and one of two bio-half brothers has and Ennis address. Another bio half brother lives in Wolfe City.

    I have a brother and sister from my adoptive family living in Brownwood, and Early, respectively--also, several nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got some really good pics there. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete