Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Twenty "Firsts"

I don't think there is a real order to who did this first, but I saw it on Melli's blog the other day and today on Quilly's. I thought I'd do it, too....hope it isn't one of those you have to be tagged for.

First Job: Baby-sitting for the neighbors.

First Real Job: Working in a grocery store headquarters in shipping. It was the first time I'd had a chance to use the high tech IBM skills I'd learned in high school. Actually instead of using a system that worked with real computers they had punch cards we counted out for each store. It wasn't a good job, but it put food in my kids' tummies.

First Favorite Politician: I've heard tales that I had a Dewey button that I feared might be stolen if someone broke in to my grandmother's house, but I don't know what happened to it. The first politician I really liked was John Kennedy, but I was too young to vote for him.

First Car: I was allowed to drive my step father's Austin Healy convertible...but then I ran off and got married and we had the oldest Chevy ever...it even had a hole in the floorboard in the back.

First Record/CD: My first record was a 45 "Heartbreak Hotel" by Elvis but the first one I really loved was Buddy Holly's album

First Sport Played: Except for some games at the end of school...girls didn't really play organized sports when I was young. Not like today's kids!

First Concert: I believe that would have to be Sly and the Family Stone way back when.

First Foreign Country Visited: Mexico

First Favorite TV Show: Superman (what sadness and confusion when George Reeves died)

First Favorite Actor: Rock Hudson...the old doctor on Dr. Kildare, Lionel Barrymore

First Favorite Actress: Debbie Reynolds and/or Elizabeth Taylor...I thought ET was gorgeous....and for some weird reason Terri Moore...my mother couldn't stand her, but I thought she was good.

First Boyfriend: Little Ray who lived down the street from my grandmother's. I was something like 3 or 4 at that time. He might have been a little younger. It has been a while.

First Encounter with a Famous Person: I was standing next to Randy Quaid at the airport in Orange County...or in New Mexico. It was at the end of a very long vacation and we were checking in at the counter. We started talking and he was telling me all about moving his folks out from some really cold northern state to something like Sun City. He knew I couldn't think exactly who he was and he was giving me a hard time. I saw him in a movie later and he used the exact same dialog.

First Brush With Death: Other than my grandfathers dying within two months of each other and my mother dying when I was 19, it was when I nearly died after surgery. I didn't see a bright white light, but did start saying the 23rd Psalm in a hurry. After a short while it was the most peaceful I've ever felt before or since and I know I'll not feel it again until I die a natural death when it is my time.

First House-I inherited my mother's home.

First Film Seen: My grandmother took me to see "Gone With the Wind", but I'm not sure that was the first. My grandmother and I spent a lot of time at the theaters and we saw a lot of movies. We saw King Kong and My Friend Flicka, and The Boy With Green Hair but not when it came out.

First Favorite Recording Artist: Buddy Holly

First Favorite Radio Station: WFAA...country music station that has now gone to all talk radio.

First Book I Remember Reading: The Black Stallion

First Meme You Answered on Your Blog: November 11, 2008...I just got through with an interesting little trip through my blog. I knew it was in there somewhere.

5 comments:

  1. I knew we must have a lot in common. Buddy Holly, Kennedy, Debbie Reynolds and my son's father drove an Austin Healy Convertible when we met. Those were the days my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat list, I love the Randy Quaid story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS was excellent! You need to do these more often! I got a ton of new information about you! That Randy Quaid story is hilarious! If it had been ME, I still wouldn't know who he was - OR that he'd been playing with me! It's great that you got it figured out!

    I used to love to watch the old Debbie Reynolds movies when I was young. But yea... when I was young - they were OLD! Hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your memory is better than mine! I'm not sure I can answer half of those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done! And no, this memem doesn't require a tag. It started out stolen and has quickly spanned the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete